Thursday, June 25, 2009

Are You a Foodie Newbie?

I am. I love watching cooking shows on the Food Network. Rachael, Paula, Guy, Bobby & Duff are all regulars in my home. And I dig the gadget shows – infomercials, QVC, Home Shopping Network. Only one little issue – I am just learning how to cook.

That’s right. I’m 51 years old and just recently decided I really want to learn to cook. Nothing gourmet or fancy. Just good comfort food. And if it’s on the healthy side, all the better.

I figure there must be others out there like me – we love food, we want to learn how to cook, and most recipes take for granted we already know how. But we don’t, do we? Like when a recipe says “cook ‘til golden brown” and you wonder just what exactly how golden is golden and how brown is brown.

So I’m starting a blog for us, all of us who really want to cook good food, but don’t know a sauce pan from a skillet. I’ll share my successes, as well as my failures, my triumphs and my tragedies. And I hope you’ll do the same. (If you’re an experienced cook, any sage – pardon the pun – advice is welcome.

I’ve also started a Foodie Newbie Network – where you can join and contribute your own recipes. So grab a cup of coffee, or pour a spot o’ tea, and meet me in the kitchen. No experience req’d.

5 comments:

Serenityville said...

what a great idea! when I can get myself to do it, I enjoy cooking much more than I would have thought. congrats on the new blog!

rjs mama said...

i am not a good cook. but i love trying out new recipe's. so i guess i'm a food newbie.

thanks for visiting. hope you can link me up on your blog :)

Rachel said...

Awesome, and congrats to you! It's never too late! Thanks for stopping by. And trust me...if I can learn to cook, you can, too!

Caroline said...

I'm up for anything at this stage! Let's cook!!!

Ghada said...

ok yum, it all looks sooo good. I wish I was a better cook, but at the end of the day I only have so many hrs in the day...one day I will put more effort into it
Following from MBC :)